Need some new tunes to uplift and inspire your classes as we head into fall? Look no further! We spoke with studio owners in each genre to learn their top five songs of the moment for you to browse as you give those playlists a refresh.
Music is, of course, central to dance! At the studio DanceBody the promise is that students will feel uninhibited, powerful, inclusive and alive during class, stating, “The moves, music, and instructors induce momentum that lasts.” With locations in New York City, the Hamptons, and Miami and also online workouts at DanceBody@Home, no matter where or how people workout at DanceBody, they are guaranteed great music to get them grooving.
Their top 5 songs to break it down to right now are:
- Switch – Iggy Azalea feat. Anitta
- Mi Gente – J. Balvin, Willy William
- I’m in the House – Steve Aoki, Zuper Blahq
- Bounce Back – Big Sean
- In the Morning (REMIX) – Jaded, GotSome
At the gym Sweat Equity in Washington, the name of the game is strengthening the body and mind through workouts that combine cardio intervals with strength training. Each class is customized to students’ fitness levels, and all of this dynamic movement happens to the beat of some great music.
Top songs at Sweat Equity for the moment include:
- Feels – Calvin Harris, Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Big Sean
- What Lovers Do – Maroon 5 feat. SZA
- Look What You Made Me Do – Taylor Swift
- HUMBLE. – Kendrick Lamar
- Thunder – Imagine Dragons
At CREW Boutique Rowing Studio in Sydney, Australia, time on the WaterRower machines is combined with High-Intensity Interval Training for a full-body workout that is fun and strengthening. These workouts are great because they are low-impact, meaning that these are sustainable for the body, leaving joints intact. Founder and coach Mike Aldridge shared the top 5 tunes pumping at CREW today:
- GDFR – Flo Rida feat. Sage the Gemini & Lookah
- Thunder – Imagine Dragons
- On Top – Flume feat. T. Shirt
- New Thang – Redfoo
- Work – Rihanna, Drake
Pedal Pedal Cycling Studio is a cyclist owned and operated spin studio in University City, Missouri offering a range of classes for all levels taught by some of St. Louis’ best cycling instructors.
Great music is listed as one of the main tenets of exercising at Pedal Pedal, and owner and instructor Natasha shared their top picks for music of the moment:
- There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back – Shawn Mendes
- Wild Thoughts (Dave Aude Dance REMIX) – Rihanna, DJ Khaled, Bryson Tiller
- Something Just Like This – The Chainsmokers, Coldplay
- Adrenaline – Zedd, Grey
- Great Spirit – Armin van Buuren, Vini Vici, Hilight Tribe
At Reform Chicago, the therapeutic qualities of traditional Pilates are combined with circuit training using the reformer machine for a safe, dynamic workout that builds strength, endurance, and engages the mind. Jessica McCluskey, studio manager and instructor, shared her top 5 songs for Pilates Reformer, Pilates Mat and Cardio Pilates classes of the moment:
- Summer Bummer – Lana Del Rey, A$AP Rocky, Playboi Carti
- Homemade Dynamite – Lorde
- Perfect Places – Lorde
- Half & Half – Playboi Carti
- NO. 9 – Playboi Carti
The Collegeville Yoga Bar in Montgomery County, PA is a small studio offering a variety of styles of yoga including vinyasa, hatha, and gentle yoga, as well as offering prenatal and kids yoga classes. Music is key to guiding students’ minds and movements at the Collegeville Yoga Bar.
Owner and instructor Stefania Davidse teaches many classes each week and has a wide selection of songs she likes to play to set the tone and promote relaxation and fluidity of movement. Her top songs of the moment include:
- Building Waves – DJ Taz Rashid
- A New Day – DJ Taz Rashid, Ingmarlo
- Chakra Beatbox – MC Yogi
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- Heart as Wide as the World – Krishna Das
Bodies by Pilates is a studio in Phoenixville, PA offering barre along with its Pilates classes. Instructors mix barre workouts with Pilates techniques to keep classes interesting and dynamic. Music in barre workouts is important because it encourages fluidity of movement and helps students stay on beat so that getting toned and strong feels graceful as dance.
Carol Weiss is a long-time Pilates and barre instructor at Bodies by Pilates and shared the top songs she’s playing in barre classes right now:
- Feel It Still – Portugal. The Man
- Craving You – Thomas Rhett, Maren Morris
- Attention – Charlie Puth
- Wild Thoughts – Rihanna, DJ Khaled, Bryson Tiller
- I Feel It Coming – The Weekend, Daft Punk